Sunday, April 25, 2010

20th Anniversary of the Hubble Space Telescope


I opened up Google tonight, and the main page was space-themed. I clicked on the link provided, and it re-directed me to this page. (I strongly suggest clicking on the link.)

The images are from the Hubble Telescope, which has been orbiting around the galaxy for 20 years, snapping photos of far-flung worlds and phenomena. I flipped through the photos and thought two things:

1) "Niflaos Haboreh!"

and

2) "This looks straight out of Star Wars... Is it even possible?"

Thought #1, I believe, cannot be contested. (If real,) these images are incredible examples of the wonders that Hashem has created, many of which we are completely ignorant of. Plus, it demonstrates what the Rav (ZT"L) identifies as the "majesty" and "dignity" of modern man, who embodies "dignity" based on the technological advances of which he is capable.

Which leads me to Thought #2 - seriously, I feel like I'm looking out at the world from the Starship Enterprise. How do we know this isn't all a hoax? It could be pulled off - just make a really cool computer graphic, give it a funky name, make it a few billion years old, and who will know the difference? I guess it's just the pessimist in me coming out, but do such places really exist? Is there any source for them in Torah? I'm so incredibly curious...

Either way, the pictures are cool to look at. Happy Anniversary, Hubble Telescope!

4 comments:

harry-er than them all said...

it is real (although i can't prove it)
As a bit of a space nerd, i keep track of NASA and other stuff related.

there is a ton of stuff out there waiting to be explored. Maybe not in our days, but future generations will see space travel as more normative. I mean who nowadays knows any of the astronauts who go to space, as opposed to 20 or 30 years ago when they were considered american heros?

nobody said...

Wow; awesome, awesome link. Thanks!

Feivel ben Mishael said...

Starship Enterprise is from Star Trek not Star Wars.

Not be be nit picky. lol.

Happy Medium said...

Feivel - I know. I was trying to cover various references.

Thanks, anyways! :-)

Post a Comment