Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Challenge

So once again, it's late at night (although some may call 1:30 AM relatively early) and I'm ignoring the demands of my intellect to get some sleep.

When I was introduced to to the blogging olam with 2 blogs by frum people, I came up with a nickname for frum bloggers: "Floggers" (as mentioned in the first ever post). Now, I don't really think that term will catch on, due to it's inherent gruesomeness. But I came up with a few more...

Frum blogs = "Frogs" (a more socially acceptable alternate)
Jewish bloggers = "Joggers"
Halachic blogs = "Hogs"
Lomdush blogs = "Logs"
Grammen bloggers - "Groggers" (Special for Purim!!)
Parsha blogs = "Pogs" (remember these?)
Shtark bloggers - "Shtoggers" (imagine a Brit saying "shtaigers." It sort of works...)

I'm not copyrighting anything here, but it would be fun to see if the terms become standardized labels for various categories in the blogosphere. (I heard that happened a couple of years ago on Facebook with the term "shmurple," the generic word for nieces and nephews.)

Thus, my challenge to my (two) readers; use these terms WITHOUT EXPLANATION, and see if people catch on. Put it in the title of your post (if relevant), in the labels of the post, somewhere in the post, whatever. And please, please make up your own! The more, the merrier!

So get moving! I look forward to seeing some of your usages!

Have a great Shabbos, all!




9 comments:

nobody said...

That's funny: recently I had a conversation about how there really should be a generic niece/nephew word. Can't say I like schmurple, though.

You might want to check out this book, though (I read it in elementary school): http://www.andrewclements.com/books-frindle.html

Happy Medium said...

Thanks for the book recommendation - I've read it and enjoyed it very much!

Personally, "shmurple" is a great word! But to each his/her own... What would you suggest?

Shades of Grey said...

I think you've been beaten to the punch by the term "J-Blogger" (not to be confused with Japanese-Blogger) - see here: http://jbloggerinterviews.blogspot.com/ and here: http://jblogosphere.blogspot.com/ for semi-official (I guess?) confirmation of the term's general usage.

nobody said...

Schmurple is definitely fun, but sounds too much like a made-up Dr. Seuss word. I don't really have anything better to suggest; the only words we came up with were neicew and nephiece, neither of which are very attractive.

Happy Medium said...

Oh, I don't care about "J-Blogger," but "flogger?" C'mon... That's gotta be semi-original.

nobody said...

HM, I know it's your blog and all, but have you considered turning off comment moderation? IT might be easier to have more of a thread if we didn't have to wait for that every time one comments...

[That is, assuming you haven't gotten spam comments yet. If you have, I see where you're coming from.]

Happy Medium said...

OK, OK... So I was being overly cautious when I first set the settings (that is an awkward phrase) for comments. Seeing as I haven't gotten any spam yet, I took your advice, FrumJewinYU. Thanks for the suggestion!

nobody said...

Look, Mom! An instantaneous comment!

Happy Medium said...

There is one downside to the "instantaneous comment"- I can never know when you guys comment without searching through the posts! I used to get a nice little notice that "a comment needs to be moderated." Ah well, no more...

Post a Comment