Monday, February 1, 2010

Are They Really Selling Books?

Aaaah, it’s that time of year. The seforim are piling up. The CD’s are neatly aligned. The “Ask Me About…” badges are doled out and proudly displayed by their owners. Welcome to “The Largest Seforim Sale in North America,” brought to you by the Yeshiva University Student Council (known affectionately by vegans as “SOY”). As far back as I can remember, my family has gone to the sale every year, stocking up on bar/bat mitzvah presents and tapes (only in the last few years did we switch over to CDs). I considered myself an old-timer at the Seforim Sale.

Little did I know that once you get your seemingly innocuous little YU ID (yes, that word that the security guards are always screaming at you), you must trade in any rights you have to independence, freedom, and privacy. From that moment on, until graduation or marriage (whichever comes first) you are slave to the incredibly small and electrically charged Social Scene that is Yeshiva University. No matter what social circle you run with in Stern, whenever you are taking the Uptown shuttle, people ask. For some, it’s a casual "Are you seeing such-and-such male? Say hi to him for me!” For others, it’s a sly look, a cocky, all-knowing smile, and a million thoughts running through the hearer’s brain.

So that’s why she looks so nice!
Again?
Research for Rabbi Cohen’s class? Yeah, right.
I wonder why she’s really going?

I fall into that social circle, which has spawned countless YU library jokes and snarky comments. (Here I have to admit that I’m guilty of having made my fair share of library remarks, often in jest, but jokes usually have some element of truth in them. Mea culpa.). What if there actually is a book there that I can’t find in the miniscule Stern library, and don’t have time to order it and wait for it to come to me? What if I was already Uptown babysitting for my nephew and decided to be responsible and go get some work done? What is I actually work better in the bigger, dignified, more college-esque library? What if I’m a closet bibliophile and simply need large amounts of volumes in my vicinity so as not to asphyxiate? The “what if”s could go on and on…

But the “what if”s don’t matter, because once you cross over whatever imaginary lines distinguishing Midtown from Uptown (somewhere between 59th and 155th - I Wikipediaed it), you’ll never live it down. There is always some ulterior motive for going over to the boys’ campus. Even if you haven’t entered the shidduch world, you can never have pure intentions. And if you have started shidduch dating, then you can never go for fear of those awkward situations of seeing the guy you said “no” to after two dates just last night.

Some girls avoid the problem by simply avoiding the Uptown campus like The Plague. It’s a great way of keeping one’s “reputation” spotless. It goes on the resume: she’s from a great seminary (take your pick of any pseudo-Beis Yaakov), going into speech therapy, and you’ve never seen her at the library. But if one chooses that tactic, she misses out on great things like shiurim, the Chanukah Concert (which I know people have not gone to simply to avoid the Scene), and yes, even what the library has to offer.

For those girls who want to be able to do things without fear of what everyone else will say or think (my ideal world!), the benefits of the Uptown campus are not a thing to be avoided. But that doesn’t mean they are unaware of what everyone is thinking. It makes no difference what your reasons are; once you’re there, you are seen, you may be talked about, you may be talked to. (Disregarding the occasional match that comes out of a gutsy guy going over to talk to a girl he finds attractive in the library - true story!) So with all that in mind, a girl doesn’t simply waltz onto the shuttle without looking in the mirror for a bit longer than usual.

Is that a normal thing to do? Is it too much? Is it being responsible? Is it being vain? I don’t know. All I know is that I’m not the only one who does it. Because yeah, I could say “I don’t care what other people think of me for going to do work in the library,” but in truth, I will still care, because I am now prey to the Social Scene.

I don’t know if it’s the same for guys, but it is my opinion that they definitely have less of a problem than the girls do. Unless they are coming to hang out in the Stern lobby, they have no real reason to come to the Beren Campus. But many programs, shiurim, and the like are on the Wilf Campus, so girls who have no desire to chill with guys are often Uptown, admittedly not always comfortably.

And if it is bad enough that I have to feel watched when I go to study or learn some Torah, no, it’s even more crazy when I simply want to get some discount seforim.

A few weeks ago, I was sitting at the Shabbos table with my two older sisters and two of their friends, all of them Stern alumni, discussing what seforim and CDs we were interested in getting at the upcoming Seforim Sale. So when I voiced my excitement, they laughed and warned me about which sections to browse, and which to avoid.

Chumash/Tanach - Safe, on all accounts.
English Mussar - A little fluffy, but a possibility. Demonstrates a sincere desire to grow.
Hebrew Mussar - Good! The fact that it’s in Hebrew means you are intelligent!
English Halacha - OK. Those “Daily Halacha” books show you are conscientious and want to be well-informed.
Hebrew Halacha - A bit harder to work out that one - yes, the Halacha aspect could be in your favor, but see “SHUT” for cons.
SHUT - No way. What frum girl wants to admit that she actually harbors a secret desire to sit in yeshiva all day?
Music - Totally fine, as long as you stay away from ‘weird’ things like Moshav Band or The Idan Raichel Project. Any Boys’ Choir is safe. You’re sitting on the fence with Mattisyahu. Gravitate towards Eitan Katz - that means you’ve got personality.
The Rav - Great! Shows you are frum, bright, and can handle a challenge! For extra points, throw out remarks like “I love the Rav’s discussion of ontic monism here!” or “The way Rav Soloveitchik states his thesis, antithesis, and synthesis here mamesh blows me away!” (The “mamesh” is optional…)
Shas - Not unless you’re with a chosson picking out his set (and at that point, who cares what others think!)

Apparently, once you get the plastic ID card, you have to be concerned about not only who you are seen with, where you are seen, but also what books you are seen with! Is this really the Largest Seforim Sale in North America, or the Largest Unofficial Singles' Event in North America? To make things easier, they should just have the YU Connects people floating around with badges that say "Ask me about him/her!"

I thought about it for a while. I was hopping back and forth between submission to the rules and rebellion against them. I realized the utter absurdity of the situation, yet the fact that it is unavoidable. And then I resolved that I just couldn’t handle the pressure and hype. I just wanted to buy some seforim! So I went.

It was exactly as I expected it to be. A huge social scene, with not enough room for men and women to walk around comfortably without having to worry about shomer negiah. I avoided some people, shmoozed with (female) friends, and got some weird pick-up lines disguised as comments about the seforim I was interested in/drooling over (“Who are you shopping for that you want an entire Rav Nevenzhal set?”). But I enjoyed myself, got some much-needed books and CDs for good prices, and caught a shiur. I’ve decided to try to not let the silliness of The System get to me.

OK, that’s not entirely true. As is always the story with the Social Scene, one’s senses are inexplicably heightened. And it's a pain in the tuchus, but what are you gonna do? The System can't be changed. This is just how it is. In any case, I’ll probably go back - I'd like to see the Maccabeats live, and there is still that C. Lanzbom CD on sale.

Plus, I have to go back to the Rav Nevenzhal set and see how many more 'remarks' I get.

17 comments:

nobody said...

I've been here awhile, and the last time I was at the midtown campus was for my interview during senior year of high school. So, yes, boys do have it different. Good luck.

Happy Medium said...

Thanks a lot. That really made my night... :-( But it proved my point, as well!

Shades of Grey said...

I was also interviewed at Stern for some reason. Even Dean Bacon was there! The only question she asked me was if I had any sisters, to which I replied I had a younger sister still in middle school. She became very quiet after that and didn't ask me anything else :-)

The Seforim Sale is quite addictive - for the Seforim. I always go with the intention of picking up one sefer or CD and end up browsing for upwards of 1-2 hours.

Regarding the scene - it certainly exists, though I didn't realize how much of a scene until I started dating. My friends warned me about it my first year at YU and I didn't really notice the girls (too many amazing seforim to peruse). After I started dating the following year - I easily saw how right they were. As one friend joked, "hey, they're selling seforim at the girl sale this year!" (I know, crude, but it fits you post).

This was a very interesting read to get a glimpse of the female side of things - especially the list of what sections to be seen/not seen in!

And Rav Nebenzahl is the man! (if I am permitted to say that). His parsha seforim are fantastic, as is his Yerushalayim B'Moadeha series. However, I keep hearing that the one on the parsha have been officially deemed "girls' seforim," one indication of which is all the pretty colors of the different volumes. I still don't quite get the reason why people say this...

Happy Medium said...

"Hey, they're selling seforim at the girl sale this year!"

So wrong, yet so true.
Best. Line. Ever. Thanks for sharing!

And why shouldn't seforim be aesthetically pleasing? Besides - it distinguishes them from the rest of the browns, blacks, and mahoganies. Anyone can pick out a Rav Nevenzhal sefer from across the room. (It's a brilliant marketing move, actually, although I doubt that's what they had in mind...)

Shades of Grey said...

I agree that seforim should be aesthetically pleasing - having a different color for each volume is not only pleasing to the eye, and makes it easier to distinguish between them.

Have you ever seen a copy of one of his Yerushalayim B'Moadeha volumes? They're very well designed (there are 3 of them at the moment). His Mishna Berura is also a catchy color - though I have the original, uncensored, mottled grey version (no surprise there I guess), and not the newer dark purplish one. The newer printing's cover has a nice soft-ish texture, though.

Happy Medium said...

Of course seforim should be beautiful - hiddur mitzvah!

I haven't been zoche to see a Yerushalayim B'Moadeha, although I have heard mention of it from some rebbeim and teachers in Israel. I'm only familiar with the pretty pastels of the parsha series.

nobody said...

Dean Bacon was in on my interview as well. She talked a little more, though, even though I had nothing but an already-graduated (not from Stern) sister and brothers.

Someone I know has been joking that the girls piling off the shuttle for the sale look like they're dressed for a wedding. (Although maybe it's not really a joke? I can't say myself; I haven't really been looking.) Others joke that there should be YUConnectors roaming the aisles.

The Commie reprinted an old cartoon a couple of years ago that depicted a "typical YP guy" bemoaning the whole girls-at-the-seforim-sale situation through the mouthhole of the mask of concern he held in front of his face, while behind the mask he was beaming from ear to ear.

Happy Medium said...

Why was Dean Bacon at your interviews/ why were your interviews in Stern? It's not like Rav Schachter was at mine...

And I'm serious about the YUConnectors being at the Sale. It's like a huge singles event - why not have the shadchanim on-site? It's so practical.

FrumJewinYU - is there any way I can find that cartoon online? I'd love to see it!

nobody said...

Dean Bacon was there because it was an honors/scholarship interview.

And, I put my formidable Googling skills to the task even before my last post, but could not find the cartoon. Sorry.

Shades of Grey said...

FrumJewInYU - My memory is far from perfect, but I'm actually not sure if I was interviewed for the Honors Program then. I interviewed for the Honors Program/scholarship while in Israel (and only then received a more significant figure rather than a comparatively small amount just based on my previous acadmedic record).

Shades of Grey said...

Oh, and I totally missed the remark you made about the C Lanzbom CD - if it's "Butterflies" - buy it! It's such an amazing fusion of Carlebach/Celtic music - an absolute pleasure to listen to, and a steal at the sale price (which is around $4.99, if I'm not mistaken).

Happy Medium said...

"Butterfly" was the very first Lanzbom CD I owned! I agree - the Carlebach/Celtic mix is beautiful. For some reason, it always reminds me of driving through the hills in Israel.
No, the CD I bought was "Meditations," which has that same style, only there are no vocals. I also got another CD (not a Lanzbom) called "Shirei HaLevi'im," which I highly recommend (they played Motza'ei Shabbos at the sale).

nobody said...

Funnily enough, I also love Butterly. What are the odds?

nobody said...

Also, I also interviewed in Israel during Shana Aleph after not receiving as much money as I wanted to the first time around, which was during senior year of high school.

Happy Medium said...

When I re-applied to the Honors program in Israel, I was too busy (i.e. "lazy") to take it seriously. As you can imagine, they didn't up my scholarship. (Not that I'm complaining...)

Happy Medium said...

FrumJew and Shades - do you guys know each other? (both in YU, both like "eclectic" Jewish music) If not, (and if you don't mind my asking) do you have any guesses who the other is? I'm not asking for names - just curious to see if you can figure out who people are based on writing style. I wonder because I'm trying to keep this blog thing anonymous, yet a good friend of mine (who reads frum blogs) said she would be able to read some of my writing and know it was me.

nobody said...

Shades knows who I am because I revealed my identity to him in asking him for his, because he mentioned how he was in R' Angel's Koheles class last semester, and I was too. Alas, Shades would prefer to remain fully anonymous.

I have considered blogging, and am pretty sure my friends, if they ever read my stuff, would figure it out very, very quickly. I also wouldn't care if my friends knew it was me, as long as it didn't spread to the large portion of the general public that is sure to be following my hypothetical blog.

Post a Comment