Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Purim in YU: Not Very Funny...

The Beren Campus buildings have recently been graced with two YU Purim publications - The Closetator and Kol Hamishtakker (spoofs on the YU newspaper The Commentator, and the Jewish thought magazine Kol Hamevaser, respectively). Excited at the prospect of having a laugh over my dinner the other night, I picked up a copy of each while waiting for the elevator.

Allow me a brief definition of Purim merriment, courtesy of Wikipedia. There are two classic types of humor associated with Purim.

A) “Purim Torah” - “humorous, satirical writings... Purim Torah authors, often displaying an amazing grasp of Jewish knowledge, playfully use some of the far-fetched methods of Talmudic logic and Biblical exegesis in order to reach absurd conclusions.” Purim Torah generally consists of comical, yet erudite Torah teachings, or things like linguistic tricks.

B) “Purim Shpiels” - humorous plays or skits that tend to affectionately exaggerate and poke fun at certain qualities of well-known figures (from Tanach or present-day Jewish life, such as a community Rav or teacher) and elements of recorded stories (again, from Tanach or recent community events). These satirical parodies are popular in yeshivas and shuls.

The Kol Hamishtakker was, in my humble opinion, a fantastic blend of wit, wisdom, and (literally) laugh-out-loud humor. They successfully created a “Purim Torah” publication, in every sense of the term. The articles incorporated the classic pilpul learning style of a beis medrash in the silliest of matters, and utilized many little twists on language, resulting in a great Purim publication.

When I picked up The Closestator, however, I was immediately shocked with the very first headline: “Prominent Rosh Yeshiva Emerges from Closet” with a large digitally edited photo of “R’ Twersky” literally coming out from a closet. I was so upset and appalled at the reference that I had a moment of actual nausea.

How could such a bizayon of a Torah authority be publicly printed? Yes, it was all in the name of “simchas Purim,” but there are halachos that need to be taken into account before such “jokes” are made public. There are lo ta’asehs of nezikin (physical damages), lashon hara, ona’as devarim, and embarrassment that one could easily violate when creating Purim shtick. (See “Purim Pranks in Halacha,” a translation of a shiur by R’ Yosef Zvi Rimon on Virtual Beit Midrash)

In this particular case of this article, there are serious issues of ona’as devarim involved. The source for this issur is Vayikra 25:17 - “V’lo tonu ish et amito…” “You shall not wrong one another,” which the Sefer Hachinuch (338) clearly defines as “not shaming people or causing them pain in any way.” Not only is this a matter that cannot be ignored when involved in Purim shtick, but it gets even more problematic when the subject of the shtick is a mechanech, because at that point, both a person and the Torah (which he teaches) are being made fun of. Kal v’chomer, in the case of a Rosh Yeshiva!

Aren’t we told that the Jews of Persia re-accepted the Torah on Purim? (“Ki’yimu v’kiblu,” Esther 9:27) What is the point to Purim shtick if it makes a mockery of that very same Torah and the Rabbanim who transmit it?

Additionally, we know that Purim and Adar are the time when we are told “macho timche et zecher Amalek,” to wipe out the remembrance of Amalek. How do we keep this mitzvah today? According to one interpretation (forgive me, I can’t remember where I saw it), Amalek represents the midah of leitzanus, or mockery, which is achieved by approaching wisdom or Torah and finding one tiny thing wrong with it, publicly declaring that, and thus undermining all authority and credibility which that wisdom contains. We can destroy Amalek today by eliminating that negative midah from within ourselves. But if this is the exact midah that is utilized in creating Purim shpiels (i.e. - making a gadol b‘Torah and the Torah he teaches the butt of one‘s joke), it is allowing Amalek to continue existing. Certainly, this is antithetical to the everlasting message and meaning of Purim!

I believe there is a very fine line between proper “Purim Torah” or “Purim Shpiels” and bizayon v’leitzanus. I don’t think it is unfair to say that The Closetator, at times, crossed that line.

Regarding the particular article; I understand the line of thinking. It was very shticky and sharp to have a literal spin on the phrase “come out of the closet.” When one reads the whole article, there are, admittedly, some funny lines. And I can understand the writer’s though process; “Well, who would be the funniest subject to write this about?” R’ Twersky seems like a perfect subject, given his vehement opposition to the entire episode of the gay panel.

But that is where the line was crossed. It is by very virtue of the fact that R’ Twersky was such a serious force of opposition that he was the most inappropriate choice. Had the subject been anyone else, such as a fictional student, or possibly even Rabbi Blau (given his involvement in the panel), the article would have been less (if not at all) offensive. But any redeeming humor in the article is overshadowed by the shocking lack of kavod for a Rosh Yeshiva.

Maybe its just a girl thing, and this is how guys do Purim. I wouldn’t know. I did see the YU Purim shpiel from last year on YouTube, which did make fun of rebbeim (in front of them, no less) - but it seemed to me that there wasn’t an offensive nature to the jokes. At least, it didn’t bother me. And some kind of light-hearted, affectionate teasing of mechanchim (in the context of a Purim shpiel) seems to be permitted sometimes (see footnote 8 of the above article).

Maybe The Closetator article bothered me because it was so in-your-face, so openly ridiculous, and with a picture. Plus, it was such a delicate topic. If anyone heard R’ Twersky speak in response to the panel, it was really intense. I’m not paskening here, but making fun of something so incredibly serious is in poor taste and cannot possibly be mutar.

Maybe it’s just a difference in the subject matter of each publication. The Kol Hamevaser is a machshava/Jewish thought magazine, and consequently, all of the articles have some element, usually a very large portion, of analytical Torah and Jewish philosophy to it (in the regular editions). Thus, it is expected and appropriate that the Kol Hamevaser’s Purim publication is of this “Purim Torah” nature (in keeping with the above definition).

The Commentator, however, is a general student newspaper, not directed at Torah (or science, such as Derech Hateva, for example). The articles in this publication are of an informational, not analytical, nature. They report on events, happenings, student body undercurrents, etc. It would be out of place to expect all of their articles to be of a Torah-centric nature, which is the Kol Hamevaser’s area of expertise. But this does not mean that The Commentator, a Yeshiva University publication, should be void of Torah values. Even if it is a Purim edition.

Now, one could argue that the Kol Hamishtakker had their fair share of mockery. But there are two differences. The first is that the Kol Hamishtakker dealt with these serious matters with an appropriate delicacy and distance (and definitely not as often as The Closetator - one needs to merely look at the title and banner of the publication to see a running theme in it).

Secondly, the articles in the Kol Hamishtakker had some sort of philosophical message. To quote the authors, “[We] wrote articles making fun of everything YU, with a kernel of truth so strong it could never be ignored.” A perfect example of this is the charming, lengthy, Dr. Seuss-esque poem dealing with that unanswerable question of how to define “Modern Orthodox” (“Bistu Modernish?” p. 17-20). The Closetator, on the other hand, seems to have no agenda or message, other than distasteful mockery of everything.

We could then compare The Closetator to the Stern Purim publication, The Unobservant. It too is a newspaper of a general sort, not focused on Torah. The Unobservant seemed, to me, to be harmlessly cute, not bitingly sharp or (pardon the harsh language) boorishly humorous. (I could bring more examples from The Closetator that rubbed me the wrong way, but I won’t.)

Please don't think that I have anything personal against the writers or editors themselves. I don’t know a single one of them, and I am sure that they are all upstanding b'nei Torah. The only thing that disturbs me is their judgment regarding what was and wasn’t appropriate for the Purim publication.

Maybe it’s a matter of personal taste. But humor at the expense of kavod haTorah is undoubtedly antithetical.

My only hope is that next year, IY”H, we can celebrate Purim with the true, unsullied, pure, and effective simcha that is the hallmark of Adar.

(Please pardon the length of this post. I just needed to express my thoughts and feelings. Thanks for understanding.)

18 comments:

nobody said...

Oh, man, we're doing comment moderating again?

nobody said...

[First of all, I'm not stalking or anything; I just opened my Google Reader, and, bang!, there was a fresh post.]

I completely agree with you about that particular article; I was very upset myself when I first saw it. The rest of The Closetator, I thought, was hilarious (aside from the other things that bothered me; I wouldn't be surprised if my list and yours are similar), and even made me laugh out loud a couple of times, as my roommate can testify.

Unobservant, on the other hand - not so much. There were only a couple of funny things, and some things I disapproved of (some Rav Reiss stuff crossed the line, I think). I know I'm probably biased, but in my time here the Commentator's Purim issue has always been much, much funnier than the Observor's.

I have yet to read Kol Hamishtakker, but I have it open on my desk, actually, and I'm going to start right now.

Happy Medium said...

Whoops - I was playing around with the moderation settings. Gotta go fix that...

["First of all, I'm not stalking or anything..." - :-) ]

"I wouldn't be surprised if my list and yours are similar" - me neither. Maybe I didn't find some of the other stuff in the Closetator as hilarious as you did simply by virtue of the fact that I'm not a YU student. I will grant you that...

And what is this, some silly argument over whose Purim newspaper is better?? Fine then, my turn to one-up Stern over YU; go check out our sparkling new website! (although, that was gong to be a later post)

Enjoy the Kol Hamishtakker - its absolutely brilliant and I applaud the staff. Read every word - it's worth it!

nobody said...

Hey, I admitted that I'm probably biased!

Anonymous said...

Dear Happy,

I have to take issue with your analysis.

The Closetator is not mocking the Torah of Rabbi Twersky. I believe they are taking issue with his own "shaming people and causing them harm in any way." Many people interpreted his remarks following the panel in this manner - as being harmful and hurtful to homosexual Orthodox Jews.

There cannot be a double standard for Rabbis. The Commentator staff chose to take issue with Rabbi Twersky's comments in a fake newspaper article that was meant to provoke thought, but not reflect facts/reality. Rabbi Twersky chose to denounce the open discussion of the experiences of homosexual Jews in the main Beit Midrash, portrayed as words of Torah.

If we cannot take issue with the actions of those who attempt to lead us, how can they ever be held accountable?

While I don't want to press my luck with these comments being edited, I want to mention what really bothered me - your distinction between Rabbi Blau and Rabbi Twersky regarding the level of kavod they deserve. While I think the article in the Closetator was appropriate, I cannot understand why Rabbi Blau would be considered any less deserving of respect. Both Rabbi Blau and Rabbi Twersky were involved in the Panel on being Homosexual in the Orthodox Community, and could have both been lambasted.

I'm curious to hear from you how you justify that distinction that would allow Rabbi Blau to be subject to "bizayon of a Torah authority," "lashon hara, ona’as devarim, and embarrassment," or a "shocking lack of kavod." Can you please explain?

nobody said...

Steiny:

Even if they take issue with it, that doesn't give the the right to do it in a mocking way. Enough people agree with Rav Twersky's view (myself included, for the most part) that you should be careful about saying things like "...portrayed as words of Torah" - I heard those words, and they were (mostly) Torah.

In terms of your "double standard," you are correct, but only in a very limited sense. In some ways there should be a double standard - talmidei chachamim are supposed to be treated with more respect (see the Gemara regarding returning a lost object, etc. etc.). Even if someone disagrees with a talmid chacham, that never, ever gives them the right to denigrate, and that's what that article was.

Happy Medium said...

Dear Steiny,

Thank you so much for a clear, thought-out comment. A great teacher of mine once told me that in the process of taking a stance on an issue, especially a Torah/hashkafa related one, one should first objectively and fairly explore all opinions out there, and then form their own. Since reading your comment, I have re-evaluated my opinion on the topic, and hope I will now present a clearer, more definitive take on the matter. I appreciate the time which you took to comment, and thank you for the way it (indirectly) helped me develop my own approach.

First of all, I agree with everything FrumJewinYU said. Some of the points he brings up were things I was going to mention. (Thanks for taking care of it for me!)

Like you say yourself, some people “interpreted” R' Twersky's remarks as harmful/hurtful. My interpretation is that he wasn't harming the homosexual individuals, but rather he was taking issue with the way the topic was handled (i.e. - the oublic panel), strictly from a halachik standpoint. I believe it is unfair to say that R' Twersky was shaming them. I read a transcript of what he said in the beis medrash, and heard him the very next night in Stern. I can tell you with the utmost conviction that he had nothing but rachmanus to express for the individuals and the pain they live with, and declared that we must relate to them the same way.

We have every right, indeed, the obligation, to analyze every bit of Torah (halacha or hashkafa) that we learn from our leaders and teachers. The Rav is very adamant on this point; G-d created us to use our intellect, and if we don't use it, then we aren't worthy of the title of “human being.” We should not accept the words of Chazal or Torah leaders blindly, without asking ourselves “Does this sit well with me? Do I agree with this?”

But the process of questioning and exploring a topic further must be done A) with the utmost respect due to a Torah leader and B) with the utmost humility in regards to your own Torah knowledge compared to theirs.

Undeniably, The Commentator staff has every right to “take issue with” R' Twersky's position. But this is an issue that must be discussed with all sincerity, humility, and respect for both R' Twersky and the men on the panel. While I may disagree with the position taken on the issue, I could have no complaints against an article written in such a manner. But that is not how the article was written. It was inappropriate to voice their opinion on this delicate matter in a frivolous Purim edition.

I'll continue my response in the following comment, because my response is too long for one comment. :-D

Happy Medium said...

PART II (This should've just been a new post...)

You wrote: “I want to mention what really bothered me - your distinction between Rabbi Blau and Rabbi Twersky regarding the level of kavod they deserve.”
Chalila that I should hold one greater than the other! I had no such intention of implying that one deserves more respect than the other. I'm extremely sorry if that is how it came across. Let me be clear – I have absolute respect for both R' Twersky and R' Blau (as well as other YU rabbanim, which goes without saying).

My distinction between the two was regarding their particular approaches to the gay panel. Tell me if I'm wrong, but R' Blau seemed to openly support the panel (he did, after all, moderate it), whereas R' Twersky openly condemned the panel (again, not the people). It may just be a question of preference, but it seems to me that had R' Blau been the subject of the article, it would have been less offensive (notice that I'm not saying “it would have been OK”) because he was positively involved in the panel. R' Twersky, on the other hand, was fervently opposed to the panel, and therefore any association between him and the panel (even a sly hint) seems, to me, to be more offensive.

Quite honestly, I don't think either of them would have been an appropriate subject. As I said, I think the best way to have handled it (b'dieved, once they already wrote the article) would have been to use a euphemistic, fictional student. The humor would have still been there.

I look forward to hearing feedback.

nobody said...

Agreed.

On a complete tangent (slightly relevant, though, because it's about Purim), HM, did you go to the chagiga in Cardozo? Did the location affect attendance? I haven't heard anything about it.

Happy Medium said...

No, I was out of town over Purim.

But do you want my opinion on the matter? Either way... I think the whole response (i.e. - making it a big deal) was stupid. Who cares that the chagigas are separate? If anything, I was happier about it because with separate chagigas, I wouldn't have to worry about ridiculous social scenes, made even more uncomfortable because of drinking. And I know plenty of girls (though not as vocal) who expressed the same feelings. (Disclaimer: I'm not speaking from experience. This is just the impression I've gotten from people who have been to the chagiga in the past, and valid assumptions on my part)

nobody said...

Thanks for that. I don't get why anyone was seriously complaining about it.

nobody said...

I don't know if you'll ever read this thread again, but: it looks like this issue is going to get some serious treatment soon. I can't really say any more than that; you'll just have to wait and see...

[If what I'm talking about ends up coming to nothing, I'll bli neder make sure to say that as well.]

Happy Medium said...

Funny you should say that - I heard some similar information from a reliable source... Now I'm just waiting!

nobody said...

OK, there isn't gonna be much controversy. Sorry to be vague, but this involves other people's personal lives, so: something almost happened that would've caused a big deal to be made by a certain portion of the YU student body, but it didn't end up happening (well, not really) and therefore it doesn't look like that much will happen.

Whew - yes, I know, really vague. If you (HM) want actual details, I'd discuss them via email. It's not lashon hara or anything, but I still don't want it out there for everyone to see.

nobody said...

That's exactly what we didn't think should be displayed, YU - please delete your comment.

Happy Medium said...

YU - yes, very good, that was the article. Sorry, it's coming down, due to the offensive nature of the article.

Feivel ben Mishael said...

Can not the same question be asked, how can the bizayon of limud hatorah being used for foolishness be printed???

In fact there are poskim who write that it is forbidden to make purim torah and that one should protest against its publication.

Just saying...

Happy Medium said...

Thanks for the input, Feivel - that's definitely another approach.

Post a Comment